Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Ride Around Downtown Indy

It was extremely windy outside on this late October day, but I decided to ride my bike around outside anyway. First stop, after passing by the Capital building….my favorite fountain in downtown near the canal. This was the first fountain I ever saw in Indianapolis when I moved here and it captured my heart and love of nature. Look how it appears that deer is running right towards you!
I followed the canal further along, went over the White River bridge and took the trail behind the zoo. This is such a neat trail. The thought of all those exotic zoo animals right behind the big limestone walls, and just the pleasant way the park is decorated with trees, big hunks of limestone, and even some neat cathedral architectural pieces.

I continued to follow the canal northward, and stopped at a new little cafĂ© called “The Left Bank Cafe'“ for a cup of coffee and a scone. I love blueberry scones. I just sat there, and read the Wall Street Journal. In doing so, I learned that our U.S Troops were given playing cards with pictures of Iraqis’ Most-Wanted pictures on them during the 2003 invasion. This is something that I did not know before today. A photo of Traiq Aziz, supposedly Saddam Hussein’s right hand man, was on the 8 of spades card. At that moment, I felt uncomfortable with the fact that my favorite number is 8, because it announced that he was sentenced to death for his war crimes. The dude was 74 years old. Supposedly, he was responsible for torturing and executing 250,000 Shiites and/or their supporters. Now, I don’t know any Shiites personally, but I find it have a hard to imagine that any one of them would be such a bad person that they would deserve to be tortured or killed. It doesn’t sound to me from the article that there was very much tolerance or respect toward these people.

For the record, my personal belief is that each living human being deserves respect and tolerance at a minimum, and love for that matter.


After I finished my scone and coffee, I continued my bike ride along the cultural trail. I stopped at AV Framing Gallery to say hello to owner and friend Sarah Adams, and then continued on my way since she was busy with appointments. Always wonderful to see her. I stopped at a neat-looking business called Zesco.com which was right alongside the cultural trail. I can't ever remember meeting such a friendly and fun business manager before in my life, especially around this city. My God, this guy must love his job. It was so fun! It made me almost want to start up my own restaurant or coffee business, just to get a chance to work with him! He’d be able to supply me with everything I’d need too.


On my way home, I passed by the Scottish Rite Cathedral, which is an absolutely beautiful structure. I snapped the doors, and their grandeur kinda gives a taste of what the entire building is like. Have a look...

And last but not least, I rode by my OTHER favorite Indianapolis fountain on my way home. It’s flowing water is surrounded with kids dancing in a circle and a topless goddess, who’s playing the symbols above them while they all dance around together. Downtown Indianapolis is just plump full of architectural treasures.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the photo tour, Stacy - those are some of my favorite places! I used to run a route around the canal and the path behind the zoo was one of my favorite parts, especially in spring when the magnolias were blooming.

    Good luck on selling your house and your upcoming move to who-knows-where! It's a very exciting time for you.

    ReplyDelete