Monday, August 31, 2009

Another Walk in the Park

So, I was walking Lady again this evening after work in Highland Park, the same location as in my last blog. I stood underneath the "halved oak tree" and snapped a couple of pictures of the sunset against the skyline. See the lovely photos?



Lady stood in the distance and watched me...she is so old, and it seems like each step gives her some pain, yet she still *loves* her walks, and loves to stop and smell REALLY important things that I cannot see or smell myself...... Here is a picture of her waiting for me. She's so fluffy!

I got Lady in the freezing cold month of February of 1994. It was an especially cold February when I walked into a small gas station to pay for my gas; only big enough to have a few different types of candy bars and chips for sale. Lady greeted me at the door so sweetly and friendly. I was touched, and her fur was so soft to the touch. Two brown ears and one black eye with black lashes, the other eye with white lashes. I asked why there was a dog inside and who's it was; I was surprised and commented on what sweetie she was. The attendant said a couple of kids had left her, and so they let her inside since it was soooo cold outside. The kids had stopped to fill the air in their bike tires, and took off before she realized they were gone. She would be seen running alongside and keeping up with the kids as they rode their bikes around the area fairly often, supposedly. The attendant said they couldn't keep here there. So, "softhearted Stacy" offered to take her home. After all, I had a fenced in yard at the time. I left my name and phone number and told them to have the owners call me when they returned to the gas station for her.
Well, a week went by and I wondered why nobody had called yet, so I dropped into the gas station again. They of course, said the owners never wanted her, and actually thought the family had mistreated and/or abused her. I felt I'd been tricked, and was actually kinda pissed off. Also, was ticked off at the fact that they would abuse such a sweet pooch. So, I took her to the vet to get her fixed and all her shots. Then, she was mine.
Lady has been an angel in my life for 14 years. She was at least a couple of years old when I got her, so I know I won't have her around much longer.....she could be anywhere from 16 to 18 years old, or more; I have no idea. Now, her black eye has grayed. She doesn't climb the stairs anymore to sleep in my bedroom.
There are days when I think about how on earth I will make the decision to put her to sleep, and what a sad day that will be in my life. Part of me hopes she'll pass in her sleep, but that is not likely. See, she's very stubborn, just like her mother, and if she wants to stick around longer for just *one* more walk, she will....by God, she will. When she does pass, that will likely not be another walk in the park....


No comments:

Post a Comment