Friday, October 22, 2010

Rainbows in My Rooms


Remember the physics lab session where we shined a light through a glass prism and it created a rainbow of light? Man, I hated physics, despite my love of chemistry. I know, that’s probably a little odd, but then, I am bizarre based on a colleagues' “positive description word”. I’ll take it as a compliment, because I don’t ever want to be “normal”. I guess that makes me special, eh? :-)


The lines of rainbow across the wall in my office come from my oval, colored leaded glass window.





Some are so subtle too…. Do you see the rainbow in this next photo, right below the cats’ paws?








In my 110-year-old home, I have rainbows everywhere during the day. I did not notice, nor enjoy these nearly enough while I was at the office all day long, while employed. Now, I do…

I would imagine that the architects that lived 115 years ago thought about the use of leaded glass windows and light within a residential structure a smidge differently than they do now-a-days. Due to significant expense, leaded glass windows are not used quite as often when homes are built today, unless maybe you are very, very wealthy. This is just another reason why I love this old house I live in. I would say that my “old house soul” is happy here to a great extent, but I also recognize that I am not enjoying it with anyone (besides Peanut, the cat). Thus, my plan remains to move west, closer to loved-ones. After all, as hard as they try, houses can’t hug....

No comments:

Post a Comment