Thursday, October 21, 2010

Unemployment Experience

I am continuing to be fascinated by my experience as an unemployed individual. I receive so many spam emails attempting to help me find a job and return to the workforce. Various tips and tricks to get me hired. I see them, and then move on without opening them. I read posts on LinkedIn about other peoples' experiences. They share that they are desperate, depressed, unable to find work and miserable. This has not been my experience.

The truth is, I have no desire to find work just yet. I am enjoying every minute of the break from a daily grind of work that has lasted 16 years for me. I feel it is extremely important for me right now to stop and figure out what will make me happy in a career. We spend a multitude of our "life hours" working to earn money to live, but how much of that time do we really gain satisfaction from our daily activities? How many of us actually ensure that our jobs align with our personal values? How many of us are honest with ourselves about our own personal values, in order to pursue those types of jobs or career directions? I can honesty say that I have not been honest with mine, over the years. My current goal is to pursue and achieve that important alignment in my life. I have full faith that I will, and the faith that when I do, the career (or job) of my dreams will come straight to my doorstep.

So, I have been relaxing, able to sleep in as long as I desire in the morning. I am observing myself in a state of "non-schedule" and it's very intriguing to me. I go to parks, sit by the reservoir, and walk to enjoy the beauty of nature. I spend time interacting, snuggling and/or playing with my pets. I take long, relaxing epsom salt baths. I actually take time to read the paper I receive each weekday. I watch movies from Netflix....probably more movies since I've been unemployed than I have in my entire life. I also explore new subjects, opportunities and possibilities from internet using my computer screen as a window. I am learning more and more about myself, and acknowledging the beauty of my own soul.

Aside from this, I do continuously battle the voice inside my head that tells me I should not be relaxing -- the voice that says it's NOT okay for you to spend your time on anything but the *highest* priority of FINDING A JOB again. Honestly, I love not working. I love having the hours of time I have never had before to really think, pray, meditate, calm my mind and truly evaluate what is important to me, and for me in my life. Right now, I will keep these things to myself....

Since my most intimate and beloved friend moved west to Oregon, I do feel lonely and miss him dearly. We keep in touch using all forms of technology, but it doesn't replace the warmth and comfort of personal touch and his loving arms around me. I will go see him for a visit soon, and also get to see my sister and niece and nephew while out there. For this trip, I am grateful. This trip gives me something to look forward to and gives me hope and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment